Sick of your Excess Hair? We Can Help!
Posted on November 04 2013
Over the coming weeks, I will be tackling subjects that women find hard to talk about.
Todays Topic ... ABNORMAL HAIR GROWTH
(Yes, it's "Movember" ... but not for women!)
The normal amount of body hair for women varies. Most of the time, a woman only has fine hair, or 'peach fuzz', above the lips and on the chin, chest, abdomen or back. Excessive body hair growth can be debilitating for women, causing social phobias and sometimes even reclusiveness. If you have coarse, dark hairs in the areas mentioned above, you could have a condition called Hirsutism.
Facts about abnormal hair growth:
A common cause of Hirsutism is Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Women with PCOS and other hormone conditions that cause unwanted hair growth may also have acne, problems with menstrual periods, trouble losing weight and diabetes. If these symptoms start suddenly, seek medical advice.
Women normally produce low levels of male hormones (androgens). If your body makes too much of this hormone, you may have unwanted hair growth. In most cases, the exact cause is never identified. It tends to run in families. In general, Hirsutism is a harmless condition, but many women find it bothersome or even embarrassing.
But don't fret - you may not even have this condition - sometimes it could just be that you were blessed with a little more hair than others!
The great news is there are answers to overcoming this ...
PCOS or other hormone conditions need to have medical attention as well as Laser treatment to get rid of unwanted hair.
At Luminosity we only operate with TGA and FDA approved Class 4 medical grade lasers and machinery to ensure safe and effective permanent unwanted hair reduction.
Some salons offer IPL rather than Laser treatments.
Why is Laser better than IPL?
- There are many published clinical studies that prove lasers are more effective than IPL including one study of 900 people that reported stable results more than 8 years after laser treatment. No such evidence for long term results exist for IPL.
- IPL's are generally cheaper for the CLINICIAN to purchase which is why you will find many salons have chosen IPL over laser. As a result in some cases you may find that individual IPL treatments are cheaper however ...
- In the case of hair removal, IPL requires more treatments on average (around 10 vs 6 with a laser) to achieve the desired results and has been known to remove the pigment from the hair, making further treatment impossible.
- IPL's use a concentrated beam of incoherent light to burn the hair shaft. IPL's lack the laser's ability to produce a selective bandwidth that will only affect the hair. IPL's produce a bandwidth of light that can heat up all the surrounding tissue, making it less effective in disabling hair especially on darker skin.
- IPLs do not penetrate as deeply as lasers so in the case of most body areas the key structures of the hair are not destroyed meaning results are limited and generally short lived.
How can Luminosity Skin & Laser Clinic help you?
Luminosity has the latest and greatest in Laser Technology. Our Fatona ND Yag Laser system is quick and has amazing results. With our new treatments now as affordable as waxing (but without the lifetime of 6-weekly repeat visits), why waste another Summer?
Don't let unwanted hair be the reason why you can't enjoy the long Summer ahead! Call us today for a free consultation on 5221 7676 or Facebook Private Message us 8am - 8pm, 7 days a week or make an Online Booking 24/7.
See you soon ...